Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Powder 2 The OVER THE TOP Sequels.

Well, POWDER 2: POWDER 2 THE PEOPLE wasn't enough to beat its rivals at this year's Unnecessary Sequels Filmmaking Frenzy, coming in third behind THE MONSTER SQUAD 2 and OVER THE TOP: THE RISE OF MIKE HAWK. I have to say that if POWDER had to lose to any of the other sequels then those two would be the ones, but POWDER 2 will always occupy a place in my heart that the others never could. No offense.

That said, who could have predicted that this year's competition would give us not one, but two excellent mini-sequels to Menahem Golan's arm wrestling epic of awfulness? THE RISE OF MIKE HAWK is the better of the two, no question, but I've got to hand it to the team behind OVER THE TOP 2: ARMAGEDDON for their brilliant Robert Loggia impression and superior subtitle. Looking at these two almost makes me want to revisit the 1987 Stallone original for shits and gigs, but I realize that I have much more important things to do with my time, like never watching OVER THE TOP again in my life. These sequels will do just fine:

OVER THE TOP: THE RISE OF MIKE HAWK


OVER THE TOP 2: ARMAGEDDON

No comments: