Friday, March 21, 2008

Paul Scofield (1922 - 2008)

"Labiche! Here's your prize, Labiche. Some of the greatest paintings in the world. Does it please you, Labiche? Give you a sense of excitement in just being near them? A painting means as much to you as a string of pearls to an ape. You won by sheer luck: you stopped me without knowing what you were doing, or why. You are nothing, Labiche -- a lump of flesh. The paintings are mine; they always will be; beauty belongs to the man who can appreciate it! They will always belong to me or to a man like me. Now, this minute, you couldn't tell me why you did what you did."

One of my favorite moments in any movie, and it belongs to Paul Scofield. There have many fine tributes to this great actor since his passing yesterday, but few of them happen to mention THE TRAIN, my favorite among his works and my favorite film of all. That's fine; people deserve to discover this picture on their own just like I did. But if you're looking to pay tribute to the man with some weekend viewing, make sure you put this one on your list.

No comments: