Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Heart Amy Adams

The decision to play ENCHANTED at my beloved Alamo Drafthouse in Austin has been a controversial one to say the least: Owner Tim League booked it because he thinks it's going to be good (and profitable), while programmer Zack Carlson is eagerly anticipating the film. Meanwhile, everyone else is pretty dead set against the decision, as they all think ENCHANTED will not be all that good a movie. Despite some pretty positive notices already, I'm guessing that they have yet to be enchanted by the film's trailer or other marketing, so I would have to assume that tonight's post-closing employee screening will be an interesting one.

As for myself, I'm all for seeing ENCHANTED at some point over the weekend and that's for one reason and one reason alone: Amy Adams. Of course, she's the star of the movie and I'm guessing I'm not alone in having her be my driving force to see this film. Ever since she was nominated for an Oscar for JUNEBUG last year she's been getting a lot of notice, and if the early reviews are any indication, ENCHANTED is going to make her a big movie star. That's great, as I happen to think that she's immensely talented and a more than likable presence on the silver screen. But more importantly, my reasons for seeing ENCHANTED don't really have anything to do with any of that (important reasons though they are). In all honestly, it's really all about just sitting in a movie theater for two hours or so and just simply looking at Amy Adams and sighing quietly to myself over her incredibly beauty and talent.

I have got a big motherfucking crush on Amy Adams.

Please allow me a moment to clarify all this: A crush is not lust. I am not lusting after Amy Adams, I have a crush on her - big difference. I think Amy Adams is the prettiest actress around these days and I'm simply taken in by most everything about her and I'm not ashamed to admit it. After this weekend, there will be plenty of people who will be saying the exact same thing, so I figured I should get this out in the open now and make my point clear. This is not about a desire to make babies with Amy Adams, it's about how lovely she is and about how I think she's the bee's knees, that's all. She's got what it takes to get me notice her in a big way and at the moment I'm simply enjoying the sight of her. Don't think I'm becoming some crazy-ass stalker, folks, because I'm sure this will wear off eventually. Besides, she's got a boyfriend.

Now back to the loveliness that is Amy Adams.

She really is a terrific actress; everyone took notice of her after JUNEBUG, but I remember seeing her in CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and thinking to myself, "Who is that?". She obviously does the innocent wallflower thing extremely well, but she also comes across as someone who may well be innocent, but she isn't stupid, either. There's a bit of a fireball intensity to her in some of her roles thus far (even in a slight role like TALLADEGA NIGHTS) and she's still got a freshness factor to her, too, even though she also happens to have a classic movie star quality about her. I mean seriously, what's not to love? Super easy on the eyes, super talented, super movie star-ness; it's all there. The girl is in her current state of "can do no wrong" and I feel like I have to express this. Will I still feel this way after a couple of bad movies and maybe some public relations mishaps? Probably not. But Amy Adams is about to explode and I'm here to say that I am all for that. A super lovely woman, she is.
And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: