Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Greetings From Tim Curry!

(Originally written for another blog, but not posted because someone else beat me to the punch. UPDATE! They posted it anyway. Hey, it's good enough to get posted twice.)

So I get an e-mail from my pal, Monsters HD VP Jason Bylan, saying "Greatest Halloween Video Ever". Knowing Jason as a guy who can find some interesting stuff on the web, I click on the link and see Tim Curry performing "Anything Can Happen On Halloween" from the 1986 TV movie The Worst Witch. I'm guessing Jason's never seen it before, but he think's it David Hasselhoff bad, and while I wouldn't go that far, it does walk the line between cheesy and stupid pretty well.

But it reminded me of two things: One - Tim Curry is awesome. Even if he's doing a silly number for a kid's TV movie, he's still Tim Curry and he gives it a style and flair that few other performers can. And Two - Tim Curry and Halloween go hand-in-hand. Thanks to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Tim Curry will always be as much a part of Halloween as Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff, and his Dr. Frank Futter remains one of the great horror characters of all time. Maybe The Worst Witch isn't all that, but so what? It's Halloween, and as Tim Curry says, anything can happen!

No comments: