Monday, April 2, 2007

Odds 'n' Sods/Three Possessions

Kudos to NY Post film critic Lou Lemerick for being the first to film critic of note come out and admit that the Tribeca Film Festival's selections are generally, in a word, lacking. And you get to pay $18 for the privilege of watching them!

My god, does Levon Helm look old. When he showed up in SHOOTER (which I saw over the weekend), I couldn't believe it was him. I understand that he beat cancer several years ago and congratulations for that, but the man does not look his age (66) at all. At least he still sounds like Levon Helm, thank goodness.

Speaking of SHOOTER, I found it amazing that one of the dumbest movies I've seen in a while is based on a novel written by a film critic, who is apparently happy with the movie. And, according to this article, also insane.

And now, with all apologies to the lovely, beautiful, immensely talented and hopefully forgiving Kim Morgan, it's the debut of...

Three Possessions:


Yeah, I know, it's a radio. It came with the apartment when I moved in two years ago and I've rather taken a liking to it. It's nice and small and picks up the local stations well, so I always tune it in in my kitchen. I pretty much just listen to WFMU on it, which comes in OK considering I'm in the same town they broadcast out of, and I like that it's sole function is to be a radio and not a clock radio or radio/CD player. I suppose I could go out and buy some fancy-schmancy solo radio, but I like this one just fine.


This DARKMAN t-shirt holds sentimental value because it was given to me by none other than Sam Raimi at the 1990 Fangoria Weekend of Horrors in NYC. Sam and his brother Ivan gave a presentation there about 7 months before the film opened and I was hooked the minute I first saw the footage. I wore this shirt quite often that summer and I must say I was not disappointed with the film one bit. I don't wear the shirt so much anymore as it no longer fits me (I've gone from XL to M, thank you very much), but I wouldn't dream of parting with it. And if I ever meet Sam Raimi again, I'm going to thank him for it to me.


I spent a blazing hot Sunday afternoon last summer helping a dear friend move and, like most moves, not everything was packed up by the time I got there. One of the many discoveries was that my friend had not one, not two, but three DUNE pop-up books in his possession. We're both unashamed fans of David Lynch's 1984 sci-fi epic, but even my DUNE fandom had a limit back in '84 (I drew the line at the action figures). However, all these years later I was begifted with one and, dammit, I'm going to hold onto it. After all, where else are you going to see the late, great Kenneth McMillan in pop-up form?

I hope you liked Three Possessions, folks. I got plenty more crap where these came from!

No comments: